Jessica M. Scales
Jessica M. Scales
Jessica M. Scales graduated from St, Louis University Law School, where she earned an Employment Law Certificate, in 2011. She joined Sedey Harper Westhoff as an associate that year. Before joining the firm, Jessica worked as a law clerk on employment and personal injury cases at two St. Louis firms, Schlichter, Bogard & Denton and The Simon Law Firm.
In 2014 Jessica won her first solo trial in federal court in St. Louis, representing an employee denied overtime compensation for hours she was required to work. The jury found for her client on the claim and awarded her all her lost earnings. Ms. Scales was also part of the trial team in Katz v. Anheuser-Busch, a 3 week trial in the City of St. Louis.
In addition to representing employees in federal and state courts in discrimination and whistleblower cases, Jessica represents clients before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Missouri Commission on Human Rights and the Missouri Division of Employment Security, handling their cases in settlement conferences and at hearings.
Awards & Activities
- Woolsack Honor Society, St. Louis University
- National Employment Lawyers Association – St. Louis Chapter Board Member, 2013 – present
- Speaker, EEOC Training Institute—Saint Louis/ Southwestern Illinois Area Technical Assistance Program Seminar, “Transcending Gender and Religion in the Workplace”, 2016
- Speaker, Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis Bench and Bar Conference, “Lessons Learned from Recent Missouri Cases: Discovery and Evidentiary Strategies,” 2016
- Speaker, Missouri Bar Labor and Employment Symposium, “MHRA Part I—Missouri Human Rights Act Fundamentals and Update”, 2014
- Theodore McMillian Inns of Court Advocate, 2012 – 2014
- Member: Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, National Employment Lawyers Association – St. Louis Chapter, and Women Lawyers’ Association of Greater St. Louis
B.A, Saint Louis University, summa cum laude, 2007
J.D., Saint Louis University, cum laude, 2011
- State of Missouri
- State of Illinois
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- United States District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- United States District Court, Central District of Illinois